Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's morning!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mmmm.. Judy...

Morning reader!

So today is starting out pretty well! I decided to start out with research instead of sewing, despite Daphne walking out of the house with curt instructions to have a petticoat finished so she'd have something new to wear when she got home from class.

Research

I love doing research. I should really just throw everything out the window and become a professional researcher. Are there such jobs? I hope so... Nevertheless. I decided I needed to make a generic dress to use as a muslin form, so I started taking down my measurements. That's when I realized, I have no idea what measurements are needed! So there I am, standing half naked in my room with a measuring tape in one hand and a pencil in the other with NO idea where to go. I found this great site which has a lot of really interesting information about historical costuming (I love RenFaire people) and she talks about how tailors of ye ole day would have a bodice form for their clients, which they could use to begin the gowns once they got the general idea of when the woman would need it done. Of course, fittings come afterward, but having a general idea without draping is awesome.

Draping

Speaking of which, draping? for historical costumes? Absolutely not.

Sketching

So I decided to make the bum roll before I started working on the petticoats, mostly because I have an excess of scraps of linen that are too small for anything else but stuffing or things that aren't seen. I found a tutorial on one of my favorite sites and will get started on sewing a nice bum roll up shortly. I'm pleased that my sister and I have similar measurements (at least around, she measures in at 5'10"!) so I'll be able to use this bum roll as well. I sketched out the measurements needed, and away I go.

I'll update you later on how things went. For now, enjoy the pictures from the corset!



Loves and kisses,
Ashley

No comments: